C.C.Cole

C.C.Cole
author C.C.Cole's blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

On the Blog Bank

Ft Knox

When I started writing blog articles over a year ago, I didn’t know how many I’d write, or how often I’d write them.  Today, I still don’t know.  Like others, as I’ve written before, have creative shutdowns, anti-creative moments, and a longtime migraine career that interferes with almost everything.  When asked on interviews if I write consistently or sporadic, it’s sporadic with a capital “S.” 

As time moved on, I realized my blog articles began to pile up, so I could recycle them in during cyber blackouts.  When I think about scanning Twitter, one gets a few seconds of exposure at the most per user (or less, for the mathematics experts out there).  Therefore, one article may take several postings to get much exposure.  Also, it goes without saying (writing) that some articles present more interest to the masses than others, but that’s part of being a writer.  What are we supposed to do, write the same?

My blog is three types of articles most of the time:  1) articles about dark fantasy 2) articles about what impacts a writer of any genre 3) book reviews.  At the end of the year, I do a few “summation” articles of favorite books, authors, and bloggers.  What I try to avoid like the plague:  1) my political opinions 2) extensive autobiographical details 3) specific issues about book sales.  What other bloggers write to me is up to them; I prefer to see the diversity and originality to blog links I’ve seen already on other sites.  Just because I don’t write a topic myself doesn’t mean I’m not interested. 

Many wise bloggers give the same advice:  back up your blog.  I don’t mind regurgitating this important point.  Whatever you write is yours and as a writer in this age of technology, it is your (our) responsibility to protect what we’ve created.   Experienced writers advised me early on to keep anything I’ve written on my novels to always keep (I used to delete passages that made my eyes burn to read), so now I have a “loser file” for any writing that may have made the “round file” during the typewriter age.  Many virtual sites exist for storing your work.  Do some research and see what looks appropriate for you.

Over time, every blog article you write will be like putting money in a bank (Let’s not go into current events about banks in this article; Fantasy will suffice here).  You’ve created something and it’s worth saving.  Someday you may need it.  Our minds are a bank of our life experiences that are reflected in our writing.  Don’t throw it away.


No comments:

Post a Comment